Thursday, October 22, 2020

Isolation Series: Mink

"Mink"
11x14 marker & ink on paper

One of the most curious creatures I have observed at the creek is that of a mink. I soon learned Mink is a creature of habit, choosing a set time and place to swim, hunt, and dine on the plentiful crayfish living in the waters. How fortunate this often coincided with my visits, and within my line of sight. Swimming in and out of the shallows, Mink would splash suddenly and rise up with a sparkling crayfish dangling from its’ mouth. Mink would then disappear into the curtain of river reeds and grasses to dine in secret; tiny, distinct cracking and crunching sounds a testimony of breakfast being eaten. At the start of my visits Mink would scurry to cross the path between us, sometimes solo, sometimes in the company of other mink. As summer progressed the path crossings became less hurried and on one occasion, Mink paused in front of me, rose up, and gave me a good stare. I like to think we grew in wary comfortableness. Had I not been a creature of habit myself, nor been willing to explore this creek, I would have missed out on meeting Mink, of having my eyes and ears opened in new ways, and of being touched by the wonder and wildness of nature in my own backyard.


 

No comments: