Thursday, October 29, 2020

Isolation Series: Leaf Music

"Leaf Music"
11x14" marker & ink on paper

Just as we do in the spring, come autumn, my husband and I like to take long drives to observe the colours - and music - of the trees. This expansive and moving colour production stretches for miles and miles: tired greens giving way to the glowing hues of russet, cranberry, lemon, and orange. Closer to home, there are two enormous sugar maples at the creek’s edge that turn an incandescent shade of pumpkin orange. To stand under this luminescent leaf canopy in October is to experience a tree’s singing up close. I place my hands on the trunk and swear I can hear a deep humming. Vivaldi's "Spring" is a tree’s greening song but Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus is their fall finale.


 

No comments: