Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Isolation Series: Black & White

"Alongside"
11x14 marker on paper

"Masked Fatigue"
11x14 marker on paper

"Wrest"
11x14 marker on paper
These unprecedented times have me preoccupied with making art in a new way - rather, it's a childhood delight that I have returned to. Scribbling, and making something out of random squiggles and lines, helps me process these weird times. Everything feels so mixed up in its' extreme orderliness. Isolation, hygiene, quarantine, social distancing, forced non-consumption...all new realities. And over top of all that is fear and uncertainty and a longing for the way things used to be.

I miss my family who live close by. I miss coffee with friends. I miss popping out for this or that. I miss enjoying shopping for groceries, chatting with people I would encounter in the store, and taking my time over purchases. I wonder what "normal" will look like when it is safe to walk beside one another without masks and gloves and antiseptic wipes and hand sanitizer?

I am grateful for so many things: my country, my government, my health care system, and those health care workers who are front line soldiers in this pandemic.

I hope and pray along with everyone else for a cure, an end, and for safety for mankind. We are all seeking a way together.

No comments: